HOME  

  Train Rides  

  Special Events  

  Kids Activities  

  Directions  

  Contact Us  

  Links  

  About Us  

  Join Us/Donate  

  History  

  Projects  

  Members  

Raritan River Sand Company No. 10

In April 1925, the Baldwin Locomotive Works (right) built 0-4-0T s/n 58367, which was purchased by the Raritan River Sand Company in Nixon, New Jersey, to become their No. 10. A quarter century later, James Wright and Jay L. Wulfson formed Wright & Wulfson, Inc. to save the saddle tanker from being scrapped. Thus in 1950 Raritan River Sand Company's No. 10 became Pine Creek Railroad's No. 1 (below) for $400. By then, the original wood cab, destroyed in an engine house fire, had been replaced with a steel cab.

In 1953, owing to a rotted-out saddle tank, Pine Creek No. 1 was converted from an 0-4-0T (above) to an 0-4-0 (below) by removing the tank and adding a tender, which was constructed from a Raritan River Sand Company dump car. The tender contained a coal bin and a 250 gallon home heating oil tank for water. Under the auspices of the Cranberry Creek Railroad Company, she was shipped to the Copper Creek Railroad in 1956, but failed her annual state boiler exam, so a Porter 0-4-0T was purchased to replace her.

Around 1959, she was sold to Walt Disney's Roger Broggie, who purchased her as a cost-saving method of acquiring more steam power for their Anaheim, California amusement park, versus building locomotives from scratch, as they had up to that point. For $2,000, plus another $90,000 or so in restoration costs, she became 2-4-0 Santa Fe & Disneyland No. 4, the Ernest S. Marsh (below), which by 1967 had clocked over 50,000 miles at the park, according to railroad historian Gerald M. Best, and still operates today. By the time Disney was done restoring her, all that was left of the original Baldwin were the frame, cylinders, drive wheels, side rods, valve gear and bell. Her new all-welded boiler was made in 1959 by Dixon Boiler Works of Los Angeles.

Evidently Disney once claimed their No. 4 was originally built for a New England lumber mill, perhaps as a more romantic-sounding alternative to a New Jersey sand pit. Some accounts indicate that Pine Creek had sold her to a scrap metal dealer, who then sold it to Disney through a railfan magazine advertisement; however, this has turned out to be apocryphal. Another very tall tale tells of her tender water tank being used to supply steam to the locomotive because she'd failed her boiler test. My, how some information gets mangled over the years! But then there's the true story of No. 1 having gone missing after Disney bought her: for protection, she was shipped to California in a boxcar, and this resulted in her being accidentally routed to Chicago instead.

Specifications
Weight: 24,000 pounds
Gauge: 36 inches
Drivers: 28 inches
Water capacity: 300 gallons
Tractive effort: 5,160 pounds

All images are used by permission of Steve DeGaetano.

Return to History
Return to Projects
Return Home

Copyright 2011-2015 by The New Jersey Museum of Transportation, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy