Raritan Copper Works No. 9
In June of 1924, the H.K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh built 30-inch gauge
0-4-0T s/n 6916 for the Raritan Copper Works in Perth Amboy, New Jersey (above), as their No. 9. Her twin sister, No. 8, is
seen below in the copper refinery enginehouse on 23 September 1955.
Raritan Copper Works was merged into the International Smelting & Refining Company (a.k.a. Anaconda Copper) in
1934, and closed in 1976.
No. 9 was donated to the Pine Creek Railroad Museum in 1956 (seen above in the summer of 1958), and is currently
in storage at Allaire State Park (below).
Weight: 28,000 pounds
Gauge: 30 inches
Drivers: 29 inches
Cylinders: 9 x 14 inches
Tractive effort: 5,300 pounds
Second and third images are from the collection of Thurlow C. Haunton, Jr., courtesy of Benjamin L. Bernhart.
Return to Projects